Friday, May 1, 2009

First week...

Well I just finished my first week (30 hours) of work as a graduate intern and these are my thoughts...
(Just so you know, I am working with troubled youth)
As people we need to be secure with who we are. I watch these teens struggling to be liked, struggling with attachment, struggling with depression, struggling with choices and one of the biggest things I see they need is a little love a little self-esteem.

Why can't we all just be happy with who we are, happy with who others are... "you be you and I'll be me and if by chance we find each other it will be beautiful!" (I heard that from a friend, I think it is a hippie saying or something). Anyways it is true. I think if these kids could see themselves from God's eyes they would be a LOT better. We all would, if we could see what God sees. We would treat ourselves better and we would treat other people better. I think that if there was a way to help them see this it may just solve most of our problems. I guess its like the commandments, love God and Love your neighbor-as you love yourself!

We are supposed to First Love God and then Love our neighbor, but this takes first loving who we are, because we are supposed to love our neighbor as we love ourselves, so if we don't love who we are then how can we love our neighbor??? I pray for help to see people, especially these kids, how God sees them. It makes my eyes water when I get glimpses into the Love of our Father. I wish I could give it to them, but it seems they have to struggle for it, they have to want it and work for it.

I am grateful for this chance to make a difference and hope I will! I am grateful that my boys can be home with their Dad as I am doing the things I am "supposed" to do. Life is Good. We are blessed. I am grateful to know that God loves me. I am grateful when I am reminded how special I am because it reminds me how special others are. LOVE!!!!!

Change of subject...
Here are a few pix from what we've been up to. I had a few days off so we decided to do some fun FREE family stuff.We went to a dinosaur museum.


We went for a hike.

We did a couple puzzles.
(I liked this picture of myself so I had to share it. Love yourself, right?)
We also did a couple other things like getting ice cream and go karts and mini golf... but these are probably enough pictures for now.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You're so cute. Sounds like you are learning alot about yourself and how others think of themselves. Maybe some of those teens think the way they do because they feel like no one loves them or at least expresses love towards them, so it's hard for them to like themselves if they feel like no one likes them. i know I have felt that many times in my life. I have even felt unloved by my own family. I don't think there is a worse feeling. I think about you and your life and your family and how close you all are. Why wouldn't you love who you are...you are constantly the reciprocator of love. A family (Aunts, uncles, cousins parents, grandparents etc) who love you, show you, and tell you that all the time. I always felt like I wanted what you had. It's easy to love yourself and love others when you feel loved yourself. Its so true that if we could all see ourselves through God's eyes, we would act differently. And maybe God shows us sometimes how much he loves and cares about us through other people. I wish everyone had what we have..the gospel, but I also wish everyone had a loving and supportive family, extended family etc.. like you have. I think the world would be so different.

The Butterfields said...

Fun, fun, fun! Congrats on the first year done - yea! We miss you.

Tiffany said...

I love that picture of you too!!

Brooke said...

Hey, thanks for commenting on my blog! It was fun to hear from you! I havent been to your blog in awhile either....I wish I had more hours in a day :) You are so cute, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am sure you are making a big difference in the lives of those you are helping. I know your words gave me a boost! You are a great example and a hard worker! You have such a cute little family! I loved the Mothers poem you posted on an earlier post... I might have to steal it to post on my blog :) Good luck with everything. FYI, I love the version of Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing you have on your playlist. It is one on my favorite church songs, so I really liked hearing this version.