Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Thought Provoking Experience...

Joey had a cavity that was bothering him over the weekend.
I made an appointment to see the dentist.
The tooth ended up having a pretty bad cavity and needed a cap. Anyways the dentist and the assistants were very nice.
They let me stay in the room to hold his hand and help a little if necessary.
This is the nitric oxide/laughing gas that they use to help patients relax....
Joey picked an orange nose and we called him rudolph the orange nosed reindeer.

He really was a good little boy!
I am so proud of him.

It was early (8 am is very early at our house) so I did not do his hair.
But isn't he such a cutie? It was actually very difficult...

Anyways the part of this that has caused me to reflect is when I was holding his hands so the girl could numb his mouth before the procedure, I started to get light headed and tears were swelling in my eyes. As soon as she was done I made sure he was ok and then went to sit out in the hall and take a break cuz it was too difficult for me to watch them hurt my baby, even though it was for his own good and would be a good thing in the end. Another difficulty was when the procedure was almost done and he was reaching for me saying he wanted to go home, but I couldn't hold him yet. They were not done.

Especially at this time of year as we reflect on the birth and life of our Saviour I reflect on how our Father in Heaven must have felt to watch his own son bleed, die and be tortured for our sins. I am so thankful to a loving Saviour Jesus Christ for sacrificing himself for my sake and to a loving Heavenly Father who allowed for it to happen so we can all repent, be forgiven of our sins and return to live with him for Eternity. I am thankful that even though I'm sure Christ would have loved to have been swept up in the arms of our Father and not have suffered at that moment, he did it and our Heavenly Father let it happen. What a blessing I feel it is to have the gospel of Jesus Christ in my life and to know of and feel His love for me.
I am thankful for A Wonderful family

and Terrific Friends
who help me feel that love on a daily basis.


7 comments:

Unknown said...

What a wonderful post. That was very enlightening. Its so good to find similarities in this life that you can relate to christ. You happen to find that in a dentist office. That was awesome of you to take pics. You were thinking of the blog. I take my camera everywhere now. Can I just say little Joey is just so adorable. I laughed my head off when I saw that orange thing on his nose (laughing gas) because it looked like he was getting a dose of it with that little drunken smile on his face. Then I scrolled down to the next pic, and I literally almost started to cry. He looks like he is trying to be so brave, but all he wants is for you to hold him. Look at his little mouth, and tear filled eye. How could you not want to cry seeing your boy there so scared. What a sweet boy. He was so brave. You were too. That's not easy. The things a mother goes through.

Unknown said...

You're such a good mama!

Angee Leishman said...

He looks so cute with the orange mask on his little nose.

Unknown said...

Rell - beautiful post. Joey is so dang cute. Thanks for the thought-provoking post.

I miss you. Love you. Dran.

Mills Family said...

Hi Marilla! Oh, I loved your post and your insight into relating that experience with Heavenly Father and His Son. You should write that in a journal...so that you have it on paper for always. Hey, I worked for a dentist for over 6 years as a dental assistant. It was such a great little job. My boss, the dentist, died and so we all found other jobs. He was a kind person. But he had a rule that the parents couldn't be in the back with the kids. So, I was there holding their little tiny hands and watching them be scared...and so brave. MANY times I had tears well up in my own eyes as I helped them through their dental experiences. Many times, it was hard for them and even painful. I am so proud of your little guy and YOU! Love ya, Lis

Shasta said...

I love that you can make the comparison as a parent. It reminds me to be grateful for my gift of being a parent too!
So many things we never felt, we get to enjoy as a parent…ya know, parents might know everything after all....ok, well maybe not at first! ;)
You are such a sweetie! Love & miss you lots!
hugs-

Shasta said...

Ps. He is a cutie - I think you might have out done yourself with both of them! :)