Monday, October 4, 2010

It made my day...

When Elder Ballard basically concluded this General Conference talking about what I do for a living, I couldn't help but smile. He talked about what I love to do, help people who have addictions break free from the traps that they are caught in.
I felt like celebrating when he discussed the 12 step program and how it can and does change lives. I know that through the power of the atonement and turning to God and Christ people can be free from the snares that entrap them. I love that God has provided a way for His children to be clean from poor choices we all make.
It is difficult to describe what I do to people who do not understand it, but I wanted to share how grateful I was to hear Elder Ballard go into detail about my job and the professionals who are licensed to help ;)
(If you missed his talk you can click on General Conference above and search for his talk, it will be worth it.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

AMEN! That talk was da bomb!

Mills Family said...

Yes, we loved his talk too! Jay and I both spent several years working in the youth correctional facility in Cedar and had a lot of kids come through there with addictions of all kinds. It is always interesting to me at why people choose to do the things they do. I love trying to figure out their motivations. It is usually a very sad discovery. But, it still intrigues me. I take my "hat" off to you for doing the kind of work that you do. I don't think I could do it long-term. Jay still works with juveniles. He is a probation officer now. It does wear on him though from time to time. It is sad to know how many people there are who are living serious dysfunctional lives. It also makes us return home each day more and more grateful that we have the gospel and the protection that it brings daily to our family. And, the peace....the peace!! How do people live without peace? I couldn't. Hey, thanks for writing about Elder Ballard's talk. Wasn't conference amazing!!! I loved Elder Scott's talk about living a charactered life. WOW!