Monday, September 22, 2008

Family Home Evening

Tonight for family home evening we talked about body safety. I have recently been hearing quite a bit of child abuse and sexual abuse from classes and neighbors so I thought that I had better talk to my kids a little more in detail than I have in the past. I got some information online about "body safety" and we discussed what was ok and not ok. We talked about keeping our bodies safe by wearing helmets and seatbelts, and then moved into keeping our private parts private, saying no, and telling mom and dad if anything unsafe ever happens. If anyone has any other bright ideas let me know. We sang Head shoulders knees and toes as our song for the evening, and colored a picture of a boy fully clothed to represent how we should keep our bodies private and safe. I feel like the discussion went well.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Rill,
I think that is a great topic that kids need to hear over and over again since there are so many sex offenders out there! Good job. Sounds like it went well. Those cakes are so cute. I am sure if we were around there you would have invited us to that way awesome party. We love you guys. Heather

Haven said...

Hi Marilla!

That is a great FHE topic. I've been wondering how to discuss it with my girls and how to make it so they don't feel like it's their fault if anything like that ever happens so they'll want to tell us.
Thanks for the idea!
Send me your email address and I'll invite you to the family blog. My scrapbooking blog doesn't have all the "dirt" on our fam. :P My email is kiite2meatgmaildotcom (with the appropriate symbols of course)

~Haven